Skip to main content

Just a little research

Complete a blogpost detailing your film viewing over the past month.
You should consider the following when completing your blogpost:
• Where do you watch films?
I watch films in primarily two places, either at home or at the cinema. If travelling, I tend to watch films on a plane and in a car. When at home or travelling I prefer to watch films on my phone, even on a plane. At home I prefer to lie in bed in my room with headphones and watch movies on my phone, so nobody else disturbs me.
• What devices do you use to watch films? How does this change the viewing experience?
Primarily tend to use my phone, with headphones. Watching films on a 5.2 inch screen means that I'm closer to the screen, and pay attention to the finer aspects of the film. I also  watch films on the television with headphones, which is different from watching on my phone as there is a much bigger display. 
• Are there certain films you prefer to see at the cinema? If so which?
 Yes, I prefer to watch all Marvel Cinematic Universe films at the cinema, preferably in the IMAX format. Because all of the MCU movies are blockbusters with a huge budget, it only makes sense to me to watch it in its intended format and delivery, which is the best experience within the IMAX.


• With whom do you watch films?
If not watching alone, I tend to watch films with my siblings. During holidays such as Christmas I watch a film with the family, parents included. But I mostly watch films on my own at home.
• What attracted you to the film? Why did they choose to see it? (The social aspect of watching a film is important as it can affect your attitude towards it. Have you been ‘pressured’ into seeing a film you weren’t interested in by a friend etc?). Is it a hotly anticipated film (i.e. Star Wars Episode VIII) or one that only serves a niche audience?
Siblings. As I have two sisters and they have all the say in the family, they forced me and my poor brother and my cousins to watch 'Girls Trip' at a cinema in Ghana. As I was basically threatened to watch the movie, my attitude towards the movie wasn't great at first, but I did end up liking it. The audience was relatively specific, as the comedy in that film would only be seen as funny to a large, but limited group of people.

• How did you respond to the film? Was it a spectacle, moving, frightening etc.?
I did find some scenes funny, as it was a 'Black Comedy', so it was full of jokes and references to the African-American experience and community in America.
• Following our trips to the Ritzy and the IMAX. Discuss the recent changes to digital projection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over

Over CCTV footage throughout the film – stationary cameras elevates tension through the film and constantly heightens expectations in each shot of the film. Flashbacks foreshadow what is to come in later in the film – juxtaposition of the past and future, working in tandem. Timeline moves backwards instead of forwards – Keeps audience watching to find out the cause of the events. No non-diegetic sound – all from the cameras in the world of the film. Again adds to tension of the film, lack of soundtrack increases the extended silence in the film. The final scene of the film is the body dropping on the car, and a plane flying overhead, revealing the subject of the film. Personally, the first time I watched it, the body falling on to the car was so sudden it gave me a scare. The minimalistic approach of the film adds quite a sombre tone to the narrative, it makes the death of the man even more sad.

Ex Machina

Film Contexts: Contemporary British Film From our study of Ex Machina as a contemporary British film answer these general institutional, social, political, cultural contextual questions: How typical was its funding model? Typical enough for a small studio – Garland had stated he wanted to make the movie on a small enough budget as possible. The budget was   $15 million, and being so small, did not reflect the eventual success of the film. How did it fit into the landscape of distribution and exhibition in the UK? In the UK, the film was distributed by Universal Pictures. The marketing of the movie was also somewhat unique – a tinder profile was created for Ava, matching with other users and eventually leading them to the promotion of the film. Using social media as a method of engaging their audience, Ex Machina also catered to the younger generation. To what extent is Alex Garland a director of British films? Or is he less of a cultural Auteur and more of a commercial A